Welcome and Introduction
Some of the challenges of smaller departments is being able to mobilize an effective peer support team. Learn strategies to build and bolster a peer support program for your agencies.
Establishing alignment with your Chief’s and Fire Board Directors
Breakdown Stigma with your members through education
- Hug club or Support system
- Names and faces of the fallen is a powerful motivator
- Budget line item
- Labor Unions
Nominations to vet peer support candidates
- Not everyone should be a peer supporter
- “Who do you trust?”
- Get the right people on the bus
- Value of 3rd party interviews
- Identify those that help to a fault
- Questions that bring out the red flags
Vetting Licensed Clinicians
- Questions to ask when interviewing clinicians
- Ride-a-longs or dinner at the station
- Training the help
Collaborate with other agencies
- When tragedy strikes your agency
- Don’t be an island of your own
- Keep your resources fresh
- Don’t be weird, be relevant
- Build it and they will come, BE READY!!!
Derek Reid is the President and Founder of the NNPSN. He is a career Fire Captain with the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District and has served in the fire and EMS industry for 25 years. Derek spent his first six years in EMS as a paramedic on an ALS ambulance with REMSA. Derek began his fire career in 1999 at Central Lyon County Fire Protection District and took advantageof further career opportunities with the Nevada Division of Forestry, Sierra Fire Protection District, and Reno FireDepartment. He has been an educator with Truckee Meadows Community College and serves as an Instructor / Facilitator for the Phi Theta Kappa International Public Safety Leadership & Ethics Institute.
Derek spearheaded the first comprehensive mental health wellness program for Truckee Meadows Fire. As founder and lead for their Peer Support Team, he was instrumental in starting the Chaplain program and on-boarding of Truckee Meadows Fire's first licensed psychologist. In addition, he is the former Water Entry Special Team leader, and Instructor for the Officer Development School at Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District. Derek is also published / co-contributor of Fire Standards through the Nevada Department of Education. Derek's vision is to build unity within the first responder.